Monday 16 September 2013

Yagi


A tropical storm hit Kyoto Prefecture this weekend. The rain was heavy. So much so that there were severe weather warnings and reports of landslides and rivers bursting banks. Being a Bank Holiday Monday, I’d made plans to travel to the coast, which were swiftly cancelled. Looking for somewhere new to run, that was local, I headed to Yagi.

Yagi is a small town best known for its annual fireworks display, which takes place during the Obon festival in August of each year. Being two train stops away from where I live, I went to see the festivities on the banks of the River Oi last month.  I thought it would all be over in 15 minutes (UK style). It lasted for an hour, and it was truly spectacular.
 
Taking a steady run along the banks of the river and around the town this afternoon, the silt and debris strewn across the paths was evidence of overnight flooding. The river was a raging torrent. I came across several car loads of local people that had driven down to the river out of curiosity.

The weather forecast looks promising for next weekend, so I may be able to venture up to the coast.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment